Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Difficulty With Objectivity

When I began this blog, I wanted it to be - for the most part - objective.  I wanted to use this as a method of updating those interested in the Pettigrew Heights Neighborhood and the improvements that would be unfolding.

Today, my grief is suspended in a lump in my throat.  I am trying hard to keep swallowing it away and not allow its emergence.  My eyes sting with the frustration and anger of a helpless party witnessing a horrific destruction of the history of the city.  

If you recall, I had a nice little historic article on the C.C. Carpenter home.  Mentioned in that article was Joseph Schwartz.  Schwartz built the Carpenter Hotel.  This building is still downtown today.  He also built Washington High School - the North addition - before it was Washington High School.  He built the Minnehaha city jail, the Central Fire Station, Augustana's Old Main, The First Congregational Church, The Manchester Biscuit Company, the Coliseum, Lowell Elementary, one of the Cataract Hotels, First Baptist Church, the Carnegie Library and Cathedral School.  As he did a large number of civic buildings, he really never became terribly wealthy.  As an architect at the turn of the century, he was considered second only to Wallace Dow in the architectural business.  He lived in a modest unassuming home (Pictured below).


I am certainly glad that I took this photo when I did because here is the Joseph Schwartz home today:





Is this the honor we bestow upon the creators of our city? This was not the owner that tore down the house. The permit to raze was initiated by the City of Sioux Falls. I will leave you with that as I find that I am not in a state to elaborate further.

No comments: